Buy a Gift Voucher
Clay Club: Kid's After School Pottery Classes
Muddy madness for kids!
Children at play need a variety of tactile experiences to learn about the complexity and richness of information the world has to offer. In this ever more technologically focused world, it is easy for kids to miss out and to gravitate towards a virtual reality.
Clay Club can help you bring them back down to earth (yeah, we know, bad pun!) by offering pottery lessons providing a messy, muddy alternative for kids to express themselves. Open ended and exploratory in nature, Clay Club provides a place for kids to come and have fun making things with clay. From functional pottery using the potter's wheel to organic, sculptural, hand-built, all options are covered. All students will be offered the chance to work on a potterʼs wheel during the term. Kids can also choose between collaborative and individual experiences and all pieces will be fired at the end of the course to be collected a few weeks later.
Slow Clay Centre teachers are mindful that childrenʼs time is often ﬁlled with pressure at school. Clay Club, therefore is not about producing products to take home to parents – although they certainly will! Rather, the focus is on the experience of experimenting and playing with a plastic, responsive material that can be manipulated in many varying, exciting and often quite personal ways.
The fee is inclusive of materials and firing.
Age: 8 years and over. All levels welcome.
Please note: children must be mature enough to listen to teacher's instructions and work independently when requested. If your child /children has/have special needs please consult with us by phone on 99437844 before enrolling them.
This class will run for 8 x 1.5-hour sessions on Wednesdays 4.15-5.45pm. Teacher: Alana Casey*
*Alana is an experienced teacher and started her journey into the rich world of ceramics at Slow Clay Centre three years ago. She is patient and caring and has a warm and friendly manner with children.
"Thank you for offering such a great program for children, my son has thoroughly enjoyed his experiences at Slow Clay Club for Kids. The environment is beautiful in every way. His teacher Louise really inspired his imagination by discussing his ideas in detail and showing him how to make them a reality, achieving a delicate balance between creativity and practical techniques. His creations have been way beyond my expectations and he is so proud of his work!"
Josephine Woodbury, 01/02/2015
- use a pottery wheel
- make things by hand and sculptural techniques
- fun, fun, fun! Oh, and you get to keep all your pieces which will be fired and glazed to pick up later
- a smock or wear old clothes
- drink bottle and a nut-free snack
Clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.
Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may share the love and transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, you can hold your payment for up to 12 months for a future course.
Welcome to Slow Clay Centre!
We have some Terms & Conditions you need to know about:
These apply to all Slow Clay Centre classes/workshops/events:
- Deposit or full payment (depending on the course/workshop/event) must be made at the time of booking.
- Please choose carefully. Due to our limited class sizes once you've booked and paid either the deposit or the full fee we will only refund what you have paid if the class is cancelled by us. If you are unable to attend you may transfer your booking to a friend for no charge or, provided we can fill your place, we can hold your payment in credit for up to 12 months for any future course (you must pay the difference if the price is higher).
- Please note: All students will receive a reminder three weeks before the start date with a link to pay the remaining balance with your credit card. Students who paid the deposit online will have the balance automatically deducted. Others will need to click on the link provided or ring our office on 99437844.
- Due to our limited class sizes, if your balance is not received three weeks before the start date we reserve the right to find a replacement student and if this is not possible we will keep your deposit.
Weekly classes: These additional conditions apply to all Slow Clay Centre weekly classes.
- Please note that making ceramics, particularly on the pottery wheel, can be a physically demanding activity. If you have any pre-existing illnesses and/or chronic injuries to your back, shoulders, hips, neck, wrists or elbows we strongly advise you to seek a medical opinion before enrolling as some activities might exacerbate past injuries and we take no responsibility if this occurs.
- We ask that you fully disclose any prior and/or ongoing illnesses or injuries that could affect you IN WRITING BY EMAIL before you enrol.
- Your enrolment is conditional on your acceptance that Slow Clay Centre and/or the company's employees, whether casual, contract, or permanently employed, are indemnified against any exacerbation of any past or any new injuries.
- All work made during classes is to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This is individually negotiable for advanced students or for studio exhibitions but we ask students to accept that the emphasis of our classes is strictly on education not studio production.
- Teaching fees are fully inclusive of materials but students will incur a single firing fee based on the current cost of $10 per kg weight after gloss firing.(no charge for biqsue firing)
- Collection of fired pieces: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Students will be notified via email when work is ready to be collected. Work will only be retained for one month following this notification. No exceptions.
Regarding Kids Clay Club:
- It is your responsibility to clearly report in writing on the enrolment form, any illness, allergy or disability that may affect your child's involvement in the Clay Club activities.
- Please respect our teachers and be prompt to arrive and collect your children. Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early to class or leave your children more than 5 minutes later than the class end.
- Children are expected to be mature enough to work in a group together, to respect everyone's needs and differences and to be polite.